And by “it” I don’t mean “IT.”
Today was my first experiment with getting ready for work at the gym, instead of driving to the gym, then driving back home to get ready. It went something like this:
- Woke up around 6:00
- Got dressed for the gym
- Ate breakfast
- Took the dog out
- Left for the gym: 6:35?
- Arrived at gym: 6:55 (though I have a difficult time thinking it took me 20 minutes to get there.
- Did a short workout (the real trial today was getting ready there)
- Started getting ready at 7:30ish
- Left the gym at 8:00
A big help was packing my bag last night. Had I had to pick out what I was wearing this morning, it would not have gone as smoothly.
So, wake up to being ready to head to work was about 2 hours. I think that is alright, though I will have to work on my timing and efficiency moving forward to make this a very viable solution.
As for the experience, it was exactly pleasant. My gym has zero privacy for getting ready. If you want to change out of your underwear (or into it) in private, you either have to do it in the shower stall where it’s wet, or in the bathroom stall where (a) it is cramped and (b) you run the risk of dropping something in the commode. So, if you’re me, you do it sort of half covered in the open area, using the strength of your arm pits to hold a towel around you, mostly unsuccessfully.
A few things I need to try:
- If I’m just doing cardio, there is no reason to go to the gym – there is a cardio studio in my apartment complex that, at the very very least, has working treadmills. I save travel time and hassle that way.
- I need to keep my wet stuff (shampoo, conditioner, face wash, etc.) in a separate, hangable contraption, so I’m not schlepping my makeup and makeup brushes into the shower area.
- I need to bring a hanger with me so that I can hang my bath towel up in the car to dry during the day (so it’s not mildewing in the trunk of my car).
- Must purchase a shower cap.
- Must remember my lock next time. It was no big deal – I just left my stuff in the car until I was done with the workout, but I also had to schlep that stuff to the shower area (clothes and all).
Overall, the main annoyance was the privacy issue. I’m just not comfortable getting dressed out in the open (yet?). Maybe it will take time, or being more comfortable with my body. Though I will say some women there are very comfortable with themselves, and will prance around naked. I’ve heard stories about women doing everything naked – from blow drying hair to finishing off their make-up, and THEN get dressed. No, thank you. But on that note, I also felt in a rush to put clothes on, where at home I would air out a little more.
Tomorrow, I’m arriving earlier and going for a longer work out. There is a Body Pump class at 6am, which means (1) packing my bag again tonight, (2) waking up earlier – perhaps 5:15 with one opportunity to snooze.